Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Lots of information, pics and a video.


Hello again everyone.  First off, wee have a video showing my Nuc.

It was fairly warm the day after I got it so they were flying.  I did see some pollen coming in so they wasted no time finding food in the area.  This is what it looked like in the apiary
You can see some bees around the entrances in this next picture

So there they stayed for a few days.  I wanted to get them installed before the snow on Saturday so they could get accustomed to their new home.  Ronan and I suited up and drug the rest of the family up to take pictures and video.  I would love to say that it was a resounding success.  Unfortunately that was not the case.  I did not have appropriate gloves.  At one point my sleeve rode up my arm because of my watch.  The little girls wasted no time finding the exposed skin and let me know that they did not appreciate me moving them from their cozy Nuc. In all I think I was stung about ten times on my wrist.  I was able to get them moved over and into the hive body.  Here are some pictures.
Ronan all suited up and ready to go (Better protected than me)

Prepping the hive bodies

Removing outer cover (notice gloves covering skin)

Removing inner cover (I can see the bees)

Looking for Queen on inner cover (She wasn't there)

Look at how pretty the girls are

Successfully removed from Nuc

Placing frame in hive body (This is just about the time my sleeve rode up my arm)

The beginnings of a new home

Really nice look at a frame with capped brood and possibly food stores outside of that.  The Horseshoe shape is what we look for as a sign of good health (Note the new gloves)

My oldest son has a friend and is not so sure about their relationship

Last frame in the box.  Notice that the edges do not have wax drawn all the way out.

Father and son working together.


I hope you enjoy the pictures.  They say more than I could.  There is a video that I am editing together.  Once that is complete I will post it.  Since then, the bees have been making good use of their new home.  They are foraging and bringing in lots of dark orange pollen.  Most likely from dandelions. 
In the front yard
She is at the bottom



The most recent news comes tonight.  Ronan and I were checking out the hive.  They were moving around with the descent weather.  A few foragers were bringing a new pollen.  Kind of a a dark cream color. I will try to get a picture of it.  If any local beekeepers know what it might be, let me know.  We also thought we spotted a drone walking outside the hive.  Unfortunately, as we leaned in to look, Ronan got in the flight path of a worker and ended up getting stung just below the right eye.
Not too bad.  All in a days work.
 We were not wearing any protection because we were just observing without going into the hive.  Jen has now put a stop to that and Ronan will always be wearing at least a veil.

That is about it for now.  I got an email stating that my package bees are delayed even longer because of the weird weather they had in Georgia.  I hope they won't be too much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment