Monday, February 8, 2016

First Video and Order Update

Well it appears I am about to start my adventure in earnest this week.  I spoke with Brushy Mountain and my order is on the truck.  This Wednesday I start my beginner beekeeper class.  My family will be in attendance with me and I am uber excited.  I can't wait for day one.  With any luck, my order will be here this week.  I will have to get started painting.  One of the first things I plan to do at the class is to see who they recommend getting bees from.  I already know I am getting a Nucleus Hive (Nuc) from my neighbor Larry.  It has been suggested that I order a package of bees as well so I have something compare/contrast with.  Now is the time to order bees (before vendors sell out) so I need to get hot on that.

In other news, I have ventured into my vlog.  I have created an intro that will be at the beginning of all of my videos.  It can be found HERE,  Let me know what you think.  It is about 20 seconds long.  Do you think it is too long?  Is the music alright.  Any advice is appreciated.  The vlog is being produced for you the viewers.  I would like to make it something you enjoy.  I hope to have my first actual entry this week.  I will let you know when it goes up.

Here are the things that I have found that you should be doing at this point in the beekeeping year.  As stated before, if you are brand new, you need to order bees and start gathering your hive hardware.  For you more experienced beekeepers here is some information I found and some other "things to do".

Queens often start laying soon after the winter solstice and the workers eat more honey to keep the brood warm. Quickly peek in your hives to see where the cluster is. If they are in the top box they probably have, or will run out of honey.  They will need to be fed. Feed them Bee Candy, Fondant, or granulated sugar on a sheet of newspaper.  Feed until the bees stop eating it, then remove it from the hive because it is a magnet for Small Hive Beetles.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment