Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Very busy beekeeper

A lot went on at the apiary over the past few days.  With three hives going, there was a lot to be done.  I ended up making four videos so that delayed the blog by a day or two.

On Saturday I went into Hive #1 to see if the new queen had hatched and was in the hive.  Things did not go as I had hoped.  I saw no sign of the new virgin queen.  In addition to that, I found three capped Swarm Cells.  I don't know what is going on in there.  It could be a queen hatched and has not mated yet, so the workers are still rearing  another queen.  I would have thought that the hatched queen would have killed the other queens in their cells.  Several of the cells were chewed open and cleaned out.  It could also be that something happened to the new queen so the bees are preparing to raise another.  Or possibly they are still planning to swarm.  This doesn't seem likely to me, since they appear to be queenless at this time and have plenty of room.  For you experienced beekeepers who are following, watch my video.  PART 1 and PART 2  can be seen at those links.  Part 2 is rather long.  I was anxious because I couldn't find the queen and had no idea what was going on in the hive.  Let me know if you have any idea what is going on.

I then moved on to Hive #2.  This was the first inspection of the hive since I moved it.  Recall, it was originally in a Nucleus Hive after the split.  This inspection went much better.  The bees were drawing out comb and bringing in food stores. I found brood in all stages which means the queen is doing what she was born to do.  If things continue like this, Hive #2 will be in good shape going into the winter.  This video is an easier pill to swallow and can be found HERE  It is a good example of how quick an inspection should go.

Finally, I inspected Hive #3 on Monday.  I was originally planning on having Ronan's Cub Scout Den over to observe.  Unfortunately, the weather was not the best.  It had been raining most of the day.  I couldn't do the inspection until around 7pm and it was overcast.  Not ideal conditions at all.  Having never been in that hive, I did not know how the bees would behave and I did not want any accidental stings.  I called of the Den meeting to be on the safe side.  In hindsight I could have had them over as the bees were very well mannered.  My wife was out there taking pictures and had no issue at all.  Below are some pictures which show off her talent.

Headed to apiary

Queen is almost center frame

Ronan inspecting a frame

Working together

Good shot of comb drawn out because of queen cage
This video I try something different.  I aim the camera more directly into the hive.  Check it out HERE and let me know if you like the format.  I plan to move the camera a little closer next time now that I know how it turns out.

Anyway, this was another good inspection.  The queen had been released from her cage and was already laying eggs.  The workers wasted no time drawing comb and were not phased by my small cell foundation.  I may keep small cell in there if they continue to use it.  I also spotted the queen.  That made me extremely happy after not seeing one in Hive #1.  2 out of 3 ain't bad as they say.  They had drawn out 5 frames so I did not add another box.  They will probably need one by the time I inspect again, so I will be prepared to add. 

That about does it for this blog entry.  I will leave you with one additional photo.  It is of one happy beekeeper.

 Until next time.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment